Welcome to the Pueblo de San Ildefonso
Po-Woh-Geh-Owingeh "Where the water cuts through"
The Pueblo de San Ildefonso history dates back to 1300 A.D. when the people from Bandelier moved down to the current location next to the Rio Grande. Before this they had come from Mesa Verde in Southern Colorado.
Today the Pueblo consists of over 60,000 acres and has an enrollment of approximately 750 people. We are located north of Santa Fe, off State Road 502 and east of Los Alamos, alone the Rio Grande Valley.
Our annual feast celebration and ceremonies begin the evening of January 22nd with church vespers. The animal dancers make an appearance in the plaza, walking through the central area, around bonfires on either side. They retire quickly and will not be seen until dawn the following morning. On January 23rd, beginning at dawn, the People of San Ildefonso celebrate their annual feast day with traditional dances, Deer and Comanche dance. There is Mass celebrated on this day as well. These dances, vespers and Mass blend the native practices with the feast day of the saint Ildefonso.
Our pueblo is known for its’ tradition black on black pottery a highly polished finish and black matte design, as well as red and polychrome pottery. There are also painters, jewelry makers, weavers, carvers, seamstresses, and moccasin makers here at the Pueblo.